June is Alzheimer's & Brain Awareness Month
You can take care of yourself by taking care of your brain. It’s what makes you, YOU!
Our brains are like any other muscle in our body; they need frequent exercise. The exciting news is that brain exercises come in a variety of forms. These include art, music, cooking, eating superfoods for the brain, learning something new, hearing health, more. So enjoy these brain strengthening ideas and challenge yourself with activities daily!
- You have a virtually limitless brain storage capacity.
- Adequate sleep significantly helps the retrieval and storage of long-term memories.
- Those who exercise the brain more are at lower risk for memory loss.
- Your memories store specific sounds, tastes, and smells with particular events.
- Creating a picture of past events helps your memory recall.
What kind of band never plays music?
I move very slowly at an indistinguishable rate. Although I take my time, I am never late. I accompany life, but survive when you’re dead. I am viewed with esteem as I sit on your head. What am I?
What occurs once in a minute, twice in a moment, and never in one thousand years?
The letter M
What starts with a P, ends with an E, and has thousands of letters?
My life is measured in hours. I serve you by expiring. I’m quick when I’m thin. I’m slow when I’m fat. The wind is my enemy.
A girl has as many brothers as she has sisters. Each brother has only half as many brothers as sisters. How many brothers and sisters are there in the family?
Four sisters and three brothers
Language is Important:
Language activities engage the cerebrum of the brain. The cerebrum has both a left and a right side. The left side is where calculations, solving problems, reasoning, and language reside. Creative thoughts, imagination, music, and visual images are what the right side manages. Utilizing both sides at once makes for a healthier brain. Opportunites to improve exercise in the cerebrum include reading books, writing, and learning a different language.
Did You Know:
- Your brain weighs around 3.3 lbs. and makes up about 2% of your body weight.
- 75% of the brain is made of water.
- The human brain grows 3x its size in the first year of life.
- Your brain isn’t fully formed until age 25.
- Brain information travels up to 268 miles per hour.
- The brain can’t feel pain – it interprets pain signals sent to it, but it does not feel pain.
Word Association Game:
Below are pairs of words. Your goal is to find a third word that is connected or associated with both words in the pair.
Example: PIANO – LOCK
The answer is KEY: PIANO – KEY – LOCK
The Benefits of Stretching and Exercise:
- Better Flexibility
- Better Posture
- Increased Energy & Focus
- Increased Muscle Strength
- Improved Mood
- Improved Joint Health
- Increased Blood Flow
- Stress Relief